Wednesday 21 March 2007

So, Tom Raftery tells me that a blog is for life, not just a conference! Why does that feel like a life sentence to me?? Get it? This hour of the night my brain does funny things. I felt I had to blog a bit though, as I found myself in a meeting today with some of my very favourite clients (who allow me to give out to them and complain that they're giving us too much work! thanks again Donal & Dee, I'm feeling much much better now) recommending that they set up a blog and - get this - an RSS feed. (Really Simple Syndication - a way to auto publish updates to the blog).

So I'll be listening in fascination to Tom next Wednesday, please let me ask a few questions. Tom recommends that we look at how IT @ Cork use blogs and podcasting to enhance the IT @ Cork events. See http://www.itcork.ie or go straight to the blog: http://blog.itcork.ie/. See also the Irish Internet Association's website for podcasts of last year's annual congress: www.iia.ie/articles.asp?id=851.

That particular podcast got me really wondering about the value of podcasts for events and how we can monetise them - if we can at all. When it comes to an event, are attendees coming to hear the speakers, to interact with them, to network with each other or...???

Joanne Ballesty (of Pictaural fame) and myself have had several discussions on this subject and it's one of the things we'll be putting to Marc Thornton (of DTA Marketing talking about how the IHI use new technologies) and Tom Raftery next Wednesday. I wasn't able to make last year's IIA congress (this year Eventznet are sponsoring a session on how to make money out of email marketing - talk about sticking to the knitting) but I would have loved to hear a few of the speakers. And I did, without having to take a day out of my far far too busy schedule and pay over the moolah that the IIA definitely should have been getting out of me. Dilemma, eh? And if it's the content of our events that's driving attendance, why are we giving that away free afterwards...

Thoughts anyone?

Please note that I'm not a huge believer in open source software either...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah - sure you caught the content from the podcasts but did you get to interact with the speakers? Did you get to ask them the questions you wanted answered? Did you learn about any really good speakers you weren't aware of up to now?

And the most important question - next year, will you part with your money to go to the IIA event or will you be content to listen to it via podcast? That's the real test.