Thursday 15 March 2007

The Blogosphere...

I've just gone on a bewildering journey through the blogosphere - seen pictures of people and read their diaries... people I've never met doing stuff I'm not sure I really want to know about. This is the world of Social Networking, and I'm not entirely sure I like it.

Blogging as the new black is the theme of Tom Raftery's talk at the Events Day 07 Conference - which is a part of the reason I took this journey and why I've set up this blog. We hear a great deal about how blogging is going to revolutionise the world - well, almost - but how exactly are we meant to use it.

As a marketing tool, there is absolutely no doubt that if your customers can feel that they know you through your ramblings and rantings (OK, so maybe that's just me) you will increase their level of trust in you. There's no doubt that if you are actively blogging, talking about the things that your customers are looking for on Google or MSN, that you will attract them to your website.

But is it really worth it? Is blogging not really useful for the techies, the journos and the consultants? Can it be a useful tool for the event organiser... I'm looking forward to what people have to say on the subject...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, a blog is an incredibly powerful tool to help you market an event.

Look at the it@cork blog - we use that to put up blog posts and podcast interviews with speakers before the event, we review the speakers after the event and we subsequently podcast their talk.

All this raises the profile of the event year on year and builds audience!